Date: 11 - 12 May 2024
Times: 11 May 08:30 - 17:00, 12 May 08:45 - 17:00
Cost: ACPOHE Members - Early Bird Price £390 before 31/12/23, £425 from 01/01/24
Venue: North Tyneside General Hospital, Rake Lane, North Shields, Tyne and Wear, NE29 8NH
Cost includes: tea and coffee.
Cost does not include: Lunch, accommodation or travel. Lunch can be purchased in nearby canteen. Microwave also available.
Are you a physio?
If you're not a physio, please get in touch with our admin team at email@example.com to check if the course is suitable for you.
This 2 day face to face course, will allow delegates to fully understand the benefits to both organisations and individual employees of functional rehabilitation services. It aims to demystify the different terminology such as work hardening, functional, occupational, and vocational rehabilitation and enable delegates to identify how these services may fit into their own area of work.
Day 1 of this course looks from an organisational perspective and will enable you to develop a strategy and business plan to support the promotion and management of these services.
Day 2 considers the principle and practice of functional rehabilitation and provides you with the skills to put this into practice. We will be joined (remotely) by Dr Claire Minshull who will bring us up to date with the evidence base for current best practice regarding exercise prescription and how to apply this to occupational settings.
Practical application through case study presentations will be a constant theme throughout both days, along with lively discussion and delegate interaction.
We recommend that you attend ACPOHE's Assessing Fitness to work course prior to attending this course, although this is not an absolute requirement.
Day 1: Functional Rehabilitation – The Organisational Perspective
- Understand what functional, occupational, and vocational rehabilitation services are and how these fit into a variety of different settings
- Define your own scope of professional practice in this field
- Identify organisational and individual benefits of functional rehabilitation
- Learn how to develop an organisational strategy to define and promote functional rehabilitation services
- Understand the components and structure of a business case for functional rehabilitation and other occupational health services
- Be aware of the time, resources and management skills required to run a successful organisational service
- Discuss case studies of functional rehabilitation services
Day 2: Functional Rehabilitation – Principles and Practice of Functional Rehabilitation
- Acknowledge importance of Biopsychosocial Model (BPSM) and psychosocial obstacles to recovery and apply principle of behaviour change intervention to functional rehabilitation practice
- Identify the importance of Job Demands Analysis (JDA) and learn how to undertake this
- Understand the importance of competent assessment of fitness for work skills, and the interaction with functional rehabilitation (please note this course does not teach assessment of fitness for work)
- Consider the impact of worklessness and learn skills to support employees to remain in work or return to work in a timely fashion
- Integrate current best practice in the role of exercise in functional rehabilitation
- Discover top tips for success when developing vocational rehabilitation services
This is approximately 1 - 1.5 hours of preparation work to be completed before the course.
Kathy is a Registered Member of ACPOHE and has just retired as ACPOHEs Education Officer. She has over 25 years of experience of working within Occupational Health and now currently runs a small Occupational Health Consultancy alongside developing, designing, and delivering OH education to a variety of healthcare professionals. She is particularly interested in the role and scope of practice for physiotherapists within Occupational Health and Wellbeing services and is passionate about education.
Catherine Burke is a registered ACPOHE member who has specialised in occupational health since 1991 and is a former editor of Occupational Health Physiotherapy. As an ACPOHE tutor, she has developed and delivered courses over a number of years. Catherine is the Head of OH Physiotherapy Services for a large public sector employer, managing musculoskeletal Fitness for Work and ergonomics assessment services as well as multiple treatment contracts. She works intermittently with other employment sectors on a consultancy basis. During her career, Catherine has presented regularly on OH topics and published in peer reviewed journals.
Booking is via our Health & Work Learning and Development Hub:
- 11/05/24 - 12/05/24 - CLICK HERE to book. NOTE: Pre-course work and resources will be made available 8 - 10 weeks before the course - around 11/03/24. If they are not available when you book your place you will be notified by email when they become available.
- If you'd like to register your interest in this or future dates for this course, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
If you haven't accessed the Hub before, use the Forgotten Password link at the top right and enter the email address you use to log into the CSP / ACPOHE website when prompted for an email.
If you have any questions about accessibility or to request any reasonable accommodations please contact email@example.com before you book your place. We will do our best to accommodate your requirements to help you get the most from your experience with ACPOHE.