Date: new date coming soon
Time: 08:45 - 12:30
Cost: ACPOHE Members £85.00
Location: Course – online
Are you a physio?
If you're not a physio, please get in touch with our admin team at email@example.com to check if the course is suitable for you.
Dealing with Chronic Pain Cases in the Workplace
As OH Physiotherapists, we know that clients with Complex Chronic Pain can be difficult to manage. However, our understanding of chronic pain is changing, and we now know that stress, trauma and unresolved emotional experiences frequently underlie chronic pain. Given the right support these clients can recover and return to activity / work.
By increasing your understanding of chronic pain, this course will help you to answer why some clients fail to get better and introduce to you a new approach that will enrich your practice.
After this interactive workshop, delegates will feel more confident to deal with complex pain cases, by having:
- The assessment skills to determine if a patient’s chronic pain is nociceptive and/or a mind-body symptom (i.e. caused by unresolved emotion or stress)
- Simple but effective treatment techniques to help people manage their pain and improve clinical outcomes
- Increased understanding of the pathophysiology of chronic pain and how to explain this to patients
- Strategies to improve therapeutic alliance with patients
- Resources for patients and further learning
This training will equip OH physiotherapists with the skills and resources to better manage complex pain cases in the workplace. Skills that include:
- Understanding the pathophysiology of chronic pain and mind-body symptoms
- Understanding pain as an output of the brain produces in response to threat – be that physical, emotional and/or environmental (including work)
- Understanding how unresolved emotions / stress can cause pain and how these ‘prediction errors’ can be resolved
- Assessment tools to differentiate between structural disorders (pain) and mind-body symptoms
- Explaining chronic pain in clear and compassionate to patients and colleagues (mangers, OHPs, etc.)
- Simple techniques to reduce pain and improve functional capability
- Know when to put on the brakes
- Identify and recommend adjustments to support employees in the workplace
- Resources for patients and professionals
This course entails 1 hour of pre-course study plus a 'live' interactive 3.5 hour online study session.
Maximum number of delegates: 8.
- If you'd like to register your interest in future dates for this course, please send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Booking is via our Health & Work Learning and Development Hub. If you haven't accessed the Hub before, use the Forgotten Password link at the top right and enter the email address you use to log into the CSP / ACPOHE website when prompted for an email.
If you are interested in attending this course when we run it on other dates, please register your interest by emailing our admin team on email@example.com.
Not a member? Join ACPOHE here first. Standard or Associate membership is just £50.00.
If you have any questions about accessibility or to request any reasonable accommodations please contact firstname.lastname@example.org before you book your place. We will do our best to accommodate your requirements to help you get the most from your experience with ACPOHE.